Tuesday, August 14, 2012

46 bats in the bat box


When my friend Filippo told me that he had 46 bats in his bat box; I didn't want to believe it. Well, I went there and I counted them as they came out of the box. Unbelievable, but true. I couldn't arrive to 46, but surely there are more than 40 bats in there. 
It is a great satisfaction, because that bat box I made with my hands and wood from discarded furniture.
Above, you can see one of the bats, as well as the bat box on the right. It has been difficult to take a picture; the little beasts move fast and they appear only in near darkness. But I managed to catch one. You can see it enlarged below. It is a real bat!


So, despite pollution, degradation and urbanization, the ecosystem still manages to regain its spaces when there is a chance. 


This post is translated and adapted from my blog "Images of Fiesole"

Who

Ugo Bardi is a member of the Club of Rome, faculty member of the University of Florence, and the author of "Extracted" (Chelsea Green 2014), "The Seneca Effect" (Springer 2017), and Before the Collapse (Springer 2019)